Saturday, October 9, 2010

"I don't care to"

Kentucky, the place of many things and many people... or maybe it is just where I am living. I started my day going on an adventure with a girl from CAP named Janean. We were looking for winter clothes at Threads and Goodwill. We may have gotten lost a couple of times and passed up the store a few more times, but it made the car ride even better. But since in the end we ended up in Berea we stopped by to see Paul before his lunch break. Lucky for me I got chocolate out of the deal, because Paul hates candy and sweet things.

    Since Janean actually lives in south Kentucky and works on housing on a normal work day; I invited her to come hang out at my volunteer site for a little bit. So Janean got to experience the joys I encounter everyday. She also got to meet the new manager at the center the same time I did. The new lady is named Debbie and she seems nice. It was very nice having Janean there today, because we were making edible dirt for our "nutrition" and "life skills" lessons and she helped with the little kids while we made pudding, broke up Oreos, and played with gummy worms. I actually enjoyed today, because I saw every child that lived at the shelter and I saw every woman that lived there too. Sadly some strep throat is going around and I am hoping and praying that I don't get it. Besides the strep throat going around today was pretty nice. The phone wasn't ringing off the hook like it does some nights and almost everyone was pretty well behaved. Besides having to watch children from after school got out to bed time it wasn't so bad. the mothers were cooking dinner and decided to fry the chicken.. without having a fan on and well we had a practice fire drill with 8 of the 12 children. One girl who was sick even left her room and joined us outside as we waited for someone to tell us we could go back into the building.

    On sad news one of the ladies living in the volunteer house finished her year commitment and left today. I understood why she worked so hard at not saying good bye, but it was still sad. She left us all a nice note instead. I'm excited for her, because she plans on doing service work closure to her family and friends. I will miss having her around during lunch time. since that woman left we have another coming in about week and then a married couple coming in in November. So our house will be fill until about January where we will be losing about four to five people.  Which means by this spring I probably won't have a roommate anymore. Unless we get a huge influx of people coming in. Which wouldn't bother me at all.

   On interesting news the priest Fr. Jon Musolo who lives in Kenya messaged me on facebook today. It was a great blessing to not only hear from him, but to know that he knew who I was. Fr. Jon Musolo came to the United States as a seminarian when I was in 8th grade. My best friend (at the time), Emily, and I went out  to Meramac Caverns with Fr. Jon, and other families from our parish. It was nice to hear from Jon and find out how he was doing. I also informed him of my adventures in Kentucky and he gave me great inspiration for the rest of the year. We also talked about my future plans, but I chose to leave out my plans for Africa, because I feel for now I need to focus on Kentucky and not what I want to do before I die.

     Today was pretty crazy, but not in a bad way.. just eventful and interesting. to end the day I checked my phone and Paul texted me saying, "Call me after you are done with work". This wouldn't have made me wonder if it wasn't for the fact that Paul and my Dad called me and one of them left me a message. I guess since I have been away from home and I assume everyone knows I normally work late on Fridays that they would only call me at work during an emergency... I thought something bad happened. Well turns out Paul just wanted to tell me that I am cool now that I have grown up and my Dad was just wondering if I was hanging out with Paul. Obviously no one else, but me knows that I work until 11:00 Eastern time on Fridays.

 Oh and the "I don't care to" as the title of my blog is a statement that in some places means "I don't want to", but here in Kentucky, " I don't care to" means "I don't mind, or yeah I'll do it. I know, it could get really confusing here if you don't pick up on what things mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment