Monday, August 8, 2011

Goodbye Kentucky... HELLO St. Louis

    It is over, my service year with CAP is over. I am really not sure how I feel about it either. Being back home has its good and bad. Being n Kentucky also had its good and bad. I left the shelter knowing I could not grow from it anymore and partly due to knowing my education needed to be finished before I could move on to bigger and better things. Then again after going up to my future college and seeing what I left a year ago, I prefer Kentucky over this college crap. As I walked through my future college center I felt like I was walking into the one thing I hated most... college. You take a bunch of immature, selfish young adults and try to make them well rounded in hopes of helping them make a brighter future for themselves. When in reality most of them spend their first couple of months celebrating freedom and take on these radical career dreams and end up working a 40 hour week to just to spend all their earning on themselves and that lovely debt everyone advised them to get into.
   So despite my wants, I am heading to college in two weeks. I will probably drive my adviser crazy, because even though she thinks I can't handle a full work load, I will be pushing to get my degree in two years. I also know that even though Jewell cost too much for a simple psychology degree, I liked it there better and my advisers never underestimated me. They may have overestimated me, but then again that is better than being labeled a ":college drop out who is trying to fail again".
   To sum up my thoughts I miss Kentucky, my children and having a job where I gave too much overtime and never got enough sleep. I miss learning on my own and not being held back. I also miss the mountains and hills and living in a valley. I would say I miss some of my housemates, but I am glad to be home. I am thankful for my family and having friends who are awesome. So there is good and bad in this leaving and starting over. However, I am gong to make it work and enjoy as much as I can. Hopefully I'll have a new adventure in my near future and if not maybe in my late future.

No comments:

Post a Comment