Sunday, April 24, 2011

Where's Anha!

     Life at the shelter can be hard, because there is constantly something going on and someone who needs you. I try not to tell people how hard it is, becuase I love it there despite the trouble I deal with on certain days. There are residents that drive me crazy and children that are completely out of control. There are also days when I eat some much chocolate, because of some of the things I see and hear suring the day. Even with all the crazy things I see and hear, I still wouldn't tade jobs with anyone.  yes, this job and hard and not everyone can handle it. right now there is a volunteer here who seems to not beable to cope with the stress of a regular day and honestly I don't blame her. I love this place and Kentucky, but I know for sure I would die from stress if I stayed with the shelter for another year.

   Anyways the reason I stay in the shelter is the little things that make it worth it. I've gotten cards and picture from the children I've worked with. I've gotten letters and thankyous from the women I've helped. Today I got a great gift too.  We have this three year old who is absolutely adorable. The first time I met him he was in the kitchen with his hand in his mouth dressed in a pair of overalls. He looked like he was in a commercial advertising some type of country food. the first thing he asked was, "Whats your name?" He had an obvious Kentucky accent and just babbled away and is slightly hard to understand still. He always asks why and what everything is. I love all the children I work with, but this children just cracks me up.
    This morning I ran into his mother while I was heading in the kitchen to get some food. She was telling me how he had a fever and hopw she was doing overall and we were just talking about life in the shelter. My little country boy comes out of their bedroom and goes, "Mommy! Why aren't you in bed?" She tells him that she was just talking to me and we bring him back to the room to show him what the Easter Bunny brought him. I got him some medicine for his fever and finally made it to the kitchen to get something to eat. I was settling back into the office reading my book when I hear this voice in the living room, "WHERES ANHA! WHERES ANHA! MOMMY WHERES ANHA!" I just smiled closed my book and called out his name. His mom brought him into the office and we colored and practiced writing while his mom went out to smoke.
   There are times when I get upset about what goes on at my job, but I wouldn't trade it in for anywhere else. Because hearing one of my children call out for Anha, Annie, or Ana, reminds me why I chose to be there in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment