Tuesday, March 8, 2011

All work and play equals no sleep

It seems that if one works 52 hours and then goes out whenever I am free there seems to be a very short period to sleep and relax. I'm kind of surprised that I am still able to function normally or halfway normally. I'm probably getting to the point where if I don't start sleeping more I'll probably get really sick. Sadly, I have not allowed myself time to sleep and get other things done too.  So for now I am getting the minimal amount of sleep and the maximum amount of work and community time, while everything else is going by the way side.

   Now that I finally have some time to tell you all about my past few weeks since my birthday weekend... the shelter is practically empty, we are looking forward to a mass exodus and possible a period of being without children in the shelter. I have been working with one toddler who is almost 2 and yesterday he kicked a ball on his own for the first time. I was ridiculous with my excitement and joy for his achievements, but still I don't always get to see the children or the women I work with make big visible steps towards a better life. But yesterday I actually saw an advance in one of my child's development. Yesterday, I also went up to Camp AJ (Where I might be spending my summer) to check out the first week of Workfest. The college students and volunteers seemed to be dirty and happy. I'm excited to spend next week at Workfest, because it was awesome and I would love to have the excuse to get dirty everyday working on houses and using tools again. I love working at a shelter, but I miss being able to build things and being able to see the progress in my hard work over a week's time.
      Today was less exciting since I spent most of my day driving through Central Kentucky tyring to help one of my resident get the things she needs for her apartment. I don't mind driving all over the place, but for it being Fat Tuesday I completely forgot all about eating and didn't like driving with little in my stomach and little sleep. No worries though when the day was done I came home to a three course meal for the celebration of Fat Tuesday. To end the day I made plans to actually take a day off of work and possible go back up to Workfest and have mass there, even though part of me wants to back out now. So I don't know if that is a good way to end my day. Then again things seem to change in my life hourly, so maybe I'll be pumped again by Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment