Thursday, February 3, 2011

Commitment VS Variety and one's potential

This week has been quite an adventure. With a house still full of boys and actually having them all go to school. Which wouldn't seem like an adventure, but as time ticks closure to May the dead lines for future placements are drawing near. Which has been getting me thinking... What is my next step?

     Do I want to stay here at CAP and add another year to my service and be done with in the next year. Because once I get my hours done I can take a break and come back and get the same amount of Ameri-core money for a shorter time. Then do I take a year off work and decide to either go back into service or back to college. This sounds great, because it looks like I put a lot of dedication to this place and am able to keep my whole commitment. Then again I miss home and don't know if there is anything else I want to do at CAP for another year and doesn't require me living in the same house for another year.
     
         Another  option is finish up my hours as fast as possible and start applying to other places and start during August and end in either June or August. Which would equal another year away from home and possibly away from all my family for awhile. Even though it would bring diversity to my resume, it also could cause homesickness and being upset about not seeing my family as much. Plus even if I switch sites things might not be any different. Also ending my year long term early to go to another place may seem weird and flaky of me. I want to look professional and make it known I can hold a position for more than a year and not get bored or burnt out. Also it could be seen that my being burnt out equals a time for me to start moving on and jump train and take another dangerous and risky leap of faith.
   Another option is finish up this year take the rest of the year off and apply for new positions next spring for the 2012- 2013 year. To make people happy I might even hint at taking some classes too, because how can a girl my age throw away all that important college education. ;-) But in reality I would probably use that time to work and volunteer at Rankin Jordan in Saint Louis.
 
   Those are my choices for now, but today one of my residents cracked me up, because she started to counsel me on becoming a counselor. She kept encouraging me to one day return to school and get a counseling degree. I thought it was funny that my job as a resident assistant is to be supportive and understanding to the women that enter our shelter. But I felt weird having the resident preach to me about my future and saying that she felt like  I wasting my potential. I asked her if she meant that by being at CAP I was wasting my potential, but she then explained that if I stayed at CAP and didn't do more with my life I would be wasting my potential. I told her my thoughts on Africa and being there and she said that she could see me doing that. I don't know where I am going or where I will be next year, but I do know that as of now even if I am wasting my gifts I am getting closure to where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment